Spent my post-Hurricane Sandy morning checking with the neighbors, the police department and the fire department . . . nobody within walking distance seemed to need my help, although the neighborhood is a mess, driving is dangerous, and there is no electricity. By the afternoon, I had time to work on the Mayfly . . . with no lights or power. The lines for various components needed to be set on plywood though, and that does not require power.
Per Michalak’s book, I set lines along the short axes of two 1/4-inch sheets at 2-foot intervals, then defined the intersecting edges of the piece of the boat at these intervals. Think of it as a 16-foot long X-Y Graph. At each intersection, I drove a 6d finish nail, then laid a wooden batted along the nails to trace the edges of each of the hull’s side panels. Seems simple enough, but the small hand-lettered dimensions on the book’s drawings (I didn’t spring for full-size plans) made for delays due to pensive review. In addition, a point on each sheer, six feet back from the bow, seemed unfair – perhaps off by a 1/2- inch. I drew everything else and latter jumped on the Michalak boat-building forum to see if there were errata in the measurements. Someone later volunteered that they ran into the same problem and just drew a fair curve, which is what I’ll do next session.