Saturday was a fine Autumn day for woodworking. The schedule allowed me to commit most of the day to the project. I cut the outer wales, inner wales and chines, complete with bevels. Most of the time was spent setting up the saw, featherboards, and rollers, then cutting test pieces on scrap before committing 16′ lumber to the blade. The first rip did not go well – a drifting (as in improperly clamped) table saw fence meant that I could get only two 3/4″ wales from a 1″ x 4″ x 16′ (“Measure twice, cut once, buy new wood anyway”). A replacement board proved too knotty for the 3/4″ square wales a needed to finish and collapsed as I cut it . . . grrrr . . . but by the end of the day, I managed to eeek out the pieces I needed. But I think the trashed lumber may be useful for hatch coamings . . . hmmmm.
Later, used an old sabre saw to cut the hull’s side panels, aft bulkhead and transom. By the end of the day, the majority of the boats pieces were cut. A good day, followed by a great evening date with my darling wife. It doesn’t get any better.