This isn’t a holiday video, but it is Christmas Eve and I certainly want to wish everyone blessings for Christmas and the true peace that comes from knowing Jesus Christ.
Between the holiday preparations, I got to do some boat building tonite, putting on an outer wale.
I shot a 3 minute video showing briefly where the boat is at and what will be done next. Thanks for looking!
Since there isn’t much visual progress to show about my boat, I’m posting an interesting video.
In an earlier post, I referenced Barry Long’s Melonseed skiffs, a pair of native New Jersey boats that he built to a fine standard using cedar strip. Barry is also handy with media and design, as evidenced in his web site, eyeinhand.com. When he began his build, he set a shop camera to take a picture every 10 min or so, then combined them to make a claymation-like video of the progress. It shows the whole process, from set-up to molds to strip-planking, fiberglassing and finishing. The video is linked in my sidebar and is also shown below.
My Mayfly is not nearly this complex . . .
JP adding straps to make the plywood conform to frames.
Here’s my son helping to get the plywood to bend the way it was supposed to. It was difficult to get the ply to lay on the bow stem properly. It eventually required many screws to get the plywood edges to lie flat on the stem. Not good.
Once assembled, the chines leading to the bow were not fair. I spent some time assessing the situation before deciding the rotate the bottom of Temporary Frame 2 forward. This resulted in a fair curve, but also slightly reduced the bow flair and made the bow slightly fuller at the chine. This change also reduced the stress on the plywood at the stem. Had I made this change earlier, the bow and stem would have come together more easily. The take away . . . if assembly seems like it shouldn’t be so difficult, check and re-check the prior work.
Not sure as to why this change was necessary. Maybe the odd measurements I decided not to use in the beginning of the project had something to with this? By my estimate, the problem would have been worse using the designed sheer dimensions at Station 2. As a side note, JP anticipated the problem two weeks ago, but I didn’t understand his point. I’m glad he pointed it out, but its humbling to be bested by your kid.
Side panels temporarily screwed to stem at the bow.
I also checked Bulkhead 10.7 and found that the sides of the hull extended ~ 1/2″ below the bulkhead. I spent a few hours fashioning an extension for the bottom framing, then re-faced the finished side of the bulkhead with another layer of 1/4″ plywood. This committed me to buying an extra sheet.
Afterward, JP and I glued the stem, bulkheads and transom permanently in place. No additional pictures – other than a bunch of clamps, there wasn’t much to look at. The boat looks essentially the same as it did two weeks ago.
The transom is presently loose-fitted. This view shows the size and the layout of the Mayfly. Note that the boards in the center are temporary … that’s where the crew will sit.
Made some progress on assembly today . . . the picture shows most parts screwed together . . . they’ll be re-set with epoxy. But today is the first evidence that this may actually become something that floats.