Here’s my son helping to get the plywood to bend the way it was supposed to. It was difficult to get the ply to lay on the bow stem properly. It eventually required many screws to get the plywood edges to lie flat on the stem. Not good.
Once assembled, the chines leading to the bow were not fair. I spent some time assessing the situation before deciding the rotate the bottom of Temporary Frame 2 forward. This resulted in a fair curve, but also slightly reduced the bow flair and made the bow slightly fuller at the chine. This change also reduced the stress on the plywood at the stem. Had I made this change earlier, the bow and stem would have come together more easily. The take away . . . if assembly seems like it shouldn’t be so difficult, check and re-check the prior work.
Not sure as to why this change was necessary. Maybe the odd measurements I decided not to use in the beginning of the project had something to with this? By my estimate, the problem would have been worse using the designed sheer dimensions at Station 2. As a side note, JP anticipated the problem two weeks ago, but I didn’t understand his point. I’m glad he pointed it out, but its humbling to be bested by your kid.
I also checked Bulkhead 10.7 and found that the sides of the hull extended ~ 1/2″ below the bulkhead. I spent a few hours fashioning an extension for the bottom framing, then re-faced the finished side of the bulkhead with another layer of 1/4″ plywood. This committed me to buying an extra sheet.
Afterward, JP and I glued the stem, bulkheads and transom permanently in place. No additional pictures – other than a bunch of clamps, there wasn’t much to look at. The boat looks essentially the same as it did two weeks ago.