A busy schedule and cold weather have kept me out of the garage lately, although I recently did manage to cut and laminate plywood blanks for what will become the leeboard, the rudder cheeks and the rudder. I’ll post a few pix of those when I get farther along in fashioning those pieces.
I recently realized that I had misread the plans and had made the gunwales half their designed height. This required that I rip new wales from yet another 16-foot board, which I did a couple of weeks ago. Last weekend, before I glassed the hull, I installed the inner wale on the port side. Hi temps in the low 40’s meant that the Titebond III glue took two days to dry. It also took every clamp I owned to get the inner wale in. One down, three to go. Not sure how I’ll clamp the lower outer wale . . . here’s a pic:
Many of the recent tasks have not resulted in visible changes to the boat. However, I glassed the bottom last weekend, a milestone. I first filled the grain of the plywood bottom – the C-surface exterior had deep grooves from the mill. To fill the grain, I mixed in West’s fairing compound into epoxy to get a peanut butter consistency, then applied it across the bottom with a rubber scraper. Sixteen ounces of epoxy covered the whole bottom.
While the fairing compound was still tacky, I laid 5 yards of 6-ounce fiberglass cloth over the bottom, then wet it out with epoxy. It will require a fill coat or two. With temps in the high 30’s, the epoxy should set in a week.
The brush is used to lay out the cloth without wrinkles. The roller is used to wet out the glass.
Here, the fiberglass cloth laid over bottom.
A pint of un-thickened epoxy covered this portion of the bottom.
Wet-out complete, awaiting fill coat.