Over the course of the project, I’ve run into a few situations that have taken the boat off-spec. Consequently, my boat will not be “PERFECT” . . . which is perfectly OK . . . if I wanted PERFECT I woulda’ bought a manufactured boat. My other boat isn’t perfect either, but it’s seen a decade of hard service and has met all of the criteria for which it was built.
The first mistake was to misread the plans and install ¾” by ¾” wales. Sub-mistake No.1 was to fashion the original wales from No.2 pine, which fell apart at the knots, requiring another trip to the lumber yard for a better 16-foot board. Then I realized that these needed to be doubled, requiring ANOTHER trip to the lumber yard to get ANOTHER 16-foot board, plus a whole lot of fitting, drilling, fastening and planing. The new wales took more time to install that I care to admit – they weren’t as easy to clamp in place because the existing wales ere in the way. This extra work would have been prevented by a more careful re-read of the plans on the day I actually fired-up my table saw.
The aft butt joint in the bottom is another off-spec situation. I built the aft butt joint right on the boat. The Mayfly’s highly rockered bottom left a raised edge that I blogged about here. As a commenter has correctly pointed out, Michalak’s book said that bottoms of highly rockered boats should be assembled off of the boat and installed after the plywood is joined. Following the advice of other builders, I planed the offending joint smooth, and the missing 1/10th inch will be immaterial. Again, a closer reading would have prevented this situation.
One situation not discussed in the book is the treatment of the deck edges. In section view, they are shown terminating at the juncture of the inner and outer wales, which seemed irregular because this would leave leaving a raised edge. On a Michalak online forum, however, someone said that Jim had written somewhere that the outer wale should be raised a ¼” to protect the deck. Not mentioned in the book, though. Too bad, it’s a nifty idea. Since my wales are already on, I’m installing the decks to the outermost edge and then rounding them over.