The steps for building the boat are outlined generally in Michalak’s book and specifically on the Mayfly’s plans. These have been adjusted a bit based on my understanding of the process. I can tell I’ll be building in a different order, based on the materials, space and money I have at any given time.
Definitions for the various parts of the boat may be viewed here.
- Build two temporary frames from 3/4″ boards – DONE
- Rip chine logs and wales from 3/4″ boards – DONE
- Build two bulkheads from 1/4″ ply, framed, beveling sides and bottom edges to spec – DONE
- Build transom from 1/4″ ply, beveling sides and bottom edges to spec -DONE
- Draw and cut side panels from 1/4″ ply – DONE
- Join side panels using butt block, glued and screwed – DONE
- Fabricate Inner Stem – DONE
- Install sides onto temporary frame 8, draw ends of sides together with rope or straps, insert bulkheads, install Temporary Frame – DONE
- Install Chine Logs – DONE
- Install Inner and Outer Wales – DONE
- Install 1/2″ ply bottom on inverted sides of boat, trim excess to fit, then bevel edges and glue and nail to sides – DONE
- Laminate 6-ounce fiberglass cloth on bottom set in epoxy DONE, but need graphite coat.
- Laminate chine logs with 3″ fiberglass tape set in epoxy.
- Attach 1/4″ plywood decks fore and aft.
- Cut and install coamings for hatches, using 3/4″ lumber.
- Cut hatch covers from 1/4″ plywood and 3/4″ square lumber.
- Install optional outer stem, from 1-1/2″ lumber.
- Laminate two 1/2″plywood pieces to form rudder.
- Melt and install 3 pounds of internal lead ballast, then fair and finish
- Fashion rubber cheeks from 1/2″ plywood and bolt to rudder.
- Laminate two 1/2″ plywood pieces to form rudder, then finish with 3 pounds of internal lead ballast.
- Form tiller from 1-1/2″ lumber, bolt to rudder cheeks.
- Fashion lower leeboard guard from 2 layers 1/2″ plywood.
- Mold upper leeboard mount from 4 layers of 1/4″ plywood formed to sheer.
- Laminate mast using 3/4″-1″-3/4″ boards, 2-12″ square from base to 2′, then tapering to 1-1/2″ at 9′-10″
- Laminate yard from two 1-1/2″ 3/4″ inch pieces, 11 feet long – DONE
- Laminate boom from two 1-1/2″ 3/4″ inch pieces, 11 feet long – DONE
- Fabricate 1-1/2″mast step (plate that holds base of mast on bottom of boat) from two pieces 3/4″ lumber
- Fabricate mast partner (hold mast to forward bulkhead and deck) from 1-1/2″ lumber.
- Make a dacron or polytarp sail